Sunday, January 30, 2011

Getting Started

My name is Susan White. I love cupcakes.... and I love kids. I work at the Children's Advocacy Center of Comal County. (CACCC) The CACCC facilitates in the detection, investigation, and prosecution of child abuse by providing forensic interviews to children who have alleged abuse. In short, the CACCC provides a safe, comfortable place for kids to tell their story.  It is the begenning of the end of the abuse in their life. 
Four years ago during a trip to Washington DC for a conference on child abuse I began my obsession with cupcakes after discovering Georgetown Cupcakes. Admittedly, I was not a big fan of cupcakes before, I even questioned those who were standing in line for 45 minutes or more waiting to get into the small cupcakery.  I stood there in disbelief and asked in my Texas drawl "why would someone stand in line so long for a cupcake??"  After hearing what was perhaps the most ignorant comment of the day, I was ushered to the front of the line and given a chance to discover what the big deal was about.  I took one bite of a Georgetown cupcake and I was hooked!  I bought 6 cupcakes that day and came back before I left to purchase 18 more, which I very carefully brought home. After returning home to New Braunfels I couldn't find a decent cupcake anywhere, so I decided to learn how to make gourmet cupcakes on my own. This was quite shocking to those that know and love me because I hate to cook. And I still hate to cook, everything except cupcakes!  These days there are several places to get great cupcakes in New Braunfels and Georgetown Cupcakes ships nation wide so I am never very far away from a yummy cupcake!
So...I started making cupcakes. Before long I was surrounded by cupcakes and I was giving them away to everyone that I came in contact with. The more I bake, the more I love cupcakes! Occasionally people asked me to make cupcakes for special occasions and many of them suggested that I sell them. I am often told that I should open a cupcakery, but I have no desire whatsoever to run a business!

What I do have, however, is an unrelenting desire to make amazing cupcakes and to help stop child abuse. This is where the idea for KidCakes came from.  By doing this I can do the thing I love to do most,  make cupcakes, while spreading awareness about child abuse and help the CACCC!

This blog and the cupcakes I make will be in honor of and inspired by the kids who come to the center. I will post pictures, recipes and notes about the process and make everyone aware of how important kids are and how to keep them safe

I hope you will follow me on this journey where hopefully we will make some amazing cupcakes and help some kids along the way! 

If you would like to know more about the Children's Advocacy Center, please visit our website @ http://www.comalcac.org/

6 comments:

  1. I can't wait to follow your journey! I wish we lived closer, so I could be a taste tester! Love you and I'm very proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish you were closer too! I promise to have cupcakes everytime I see you though!

      Delete
  2. Very few people follow their dreams , fewer do so for the sake of others before themselves.
    You are an incredible person Susan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your cupcake talent is only surpassed by your dedication to the CAC. We are lucky to have you! Thanks for the delicious and beautiful Mardi Gras cupcakes that were a big hit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm lucky to be there and have such an awesome boss who always thinks cupcakes are a good idea!

      Delete